Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Water Warmer Woes Part II


I just stumbled across this blog about keeping the chicken water from freezing. The blog covers the basics and is good general information, though nothing earth shattering. What surprised me, however, were the comments. Some of the things people do to keep their chicken water from freezing! One guy starts with "I took a large clay pot, a teflon frying pan, and a drill..." What??? Someone else made a block heater out of "a concrete block, a light bulb socket, extension cord, metal flashing, and some spray-in insulation." OMG and to think I thought my only two options were warmer base or heated waterer. I guess I'm not as handy as I think.

A homemade block heater? Really?


Guess it would have saved me the $207 in electrician's fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment