Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Broody Buff

It is really unseasonably cold here in Massachusetts. Today's high is predicted to be a whopping 26 degrees. Brrrrr.

The chickens are managing quite nicely despite the frigid temperatures. Their water keeps freezing overnight, so I make sure to give them nice warm water in the morning. We need to buy a heated waterer for our birds, but when I last went in to Agway, they were sold out. I need to trek up there, but just haven't had the time. The heated waterer is a kind of like a hot plate. You place the water on top of a heater base and through the power of electricity, your water never freezes.

When the weather is this cold, you need to collect eggs a couple of times a day so that they don't freeze. (Frozen eggs, NOT good eats.) When I checked the laying boxes, a nice Buff Orpington was sitting on a clutch of about 5 eggs. I felt a bit mean stealing them from her when she was doing such a nice job keeping them toasty, but now is not the time of year to be raising chicks. I suspect they wouldn't survive the cold New England winter if they did manage to hatch. Charlotte has also reported over the past few days that she has seen a Buff sitting on the eggs. My guess is that it is the same bird. This has me thinking ... if I have a broody hen, and several roosters, then maybe I will let her raise a clutch come spring. I think the kids would absolutely love it, and who can resist a few fluffy little chicks running around the yard?

Not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment