Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing



Move over Google, there's a new boy in town. I'm pretty sure that our last remaining speckled sussex is indeed male -- or as we say in the bizness, a cockerel. Now I don't have any female sussex to compare with (rest in peace Brownie), but based on the size of his comb, I think there's little denying that Peck Peck is anything but a dude. I didn't post a picture of his tail feathers, but they are starting to grow long and lush, just like a rooster.

Two roosters!!! What are the chances? Well, apparently they are pretty good. Murray McMurray Hatchery sexes the chicks and guarantees 90% accuracy, meaning that 10% of the time they get it wrong -- pretty good if you're a meteorologist, but bad if you're a surgeon/marksman/accountant. I bought 27 chicks in April, which means that statistically I should have received 2.7 male birds and 24.3 females. Let's just round it and say that I should have received about 3 roosters in the mix. Hmmm. Well, I did get at least two.

The funny thing is that I gave away 15 birds, 2 died (again, rest in peace Brownie), so I currently have 10 birds. This means that I have only 37% of my original flock. If you do the math, I should have only ended up with one rooster (.99 but I'm rounding!). So why is it that I have two running around the coop? Peterson luck I guess.

As my husband says, if it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment