Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lions, and Tigers, and Roosters? Oh My!



It's official: Our cockerels are in the throws of puberty, and you know what that means??? Like all boys, their voices are changing. Yep, that means the roosters are now crowing. Not just a little bit, but a lot and all the time! Now that they've found their voices, they are super diligent about practicing to make sure they get that cock-a-doodle-do just right.

I first started hearing that unmistakable call last week, but it was faint and I wasn't sure (can we say denial?). We had a couple of guys here doing some work on the back of the house and they confirmed that it was indeed crowing and that it had been going on all day.

I think it's kind of cool. I only hope our neighbors don't mind... On that note, I need to call our next-door neighbor to see if she thinks it's a nuisance. Luckily we only have one person close enough to be bothered by all that racket.

Oh did I mention that I was up at 6 am and already I could hear the crowing? AND they were still locked up in the coop?

Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment