Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Monday, April 19, 2010

They're Here!



I finally picked up the chicks this morning!

I kept farmer's hours this morning by getting up at five to fetch my chicks from the regional distribution center of the US Post Office. Luckily, it's only the next town over. When I finally found Door 15 in the behemouth of a post office, I found out that the chicks had already been shipped out to my local office. Back into the car I ran to pick up the chicks at post office #2. They were in this tiny box, peeping away madly. So incredibly cute! Of course, I later read that loud chirping means the poor things are under distress.

I got them home and couldn't wait to check them out. My husband, Bill, also got a chance to peek in on them before he headed off to the airport for a four-day stint doing booth duty in Lost Wages, NV.

We ordered four different breeds: 7 White Leghorns, 7 Buff Orpingtons, 6 Dominiques, and 6 Speckled Sussex. The chicks all look different, ranging from light yellow to black with a white patch on the head, so it's easy to tell the breeds apart.

Next step, onto the brooder once it's heated up!

No comments:

Post a Comment