Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, April 29, 2010

THE Cake



My oldest turned 8 yesterday, and to celebrate he is having a birthday party with a couple of his friends at a local laser tag joint. I've been asking him all week what type of cake he'd like at his party thinking that it's going to be Star Wars or sports themed (go Sox!). Nope. What type of cake does he want? Well a chicken cake of course!

A CHICKEN CAKE????

Yes, a chicken cake!

So I called a couple of bakeries and heard a lot of laughing before finally figuring out that the only real option I have is to do a photo cake. You know, the ones where they superimpose a picture on a sheet cake? So now all I need is a cute picture of a chicken. Easy enough, right? Ummm, not really.

First I try Google images, but I quickly find that most of the images are either too low a resolution or you can't easily crop them to a standard 4 x 6 size. My only option is to snap my own picture. So down to the brooder we go to scoop up four chicks, one of each breed. We bring them upstairs and then try herding them together for a lovely group shot... I think herding cats would be somewhat easier than chicks!

Fortyfour snaps and a lot (I mean a LOT) of chicken poop later, I finally manage to get a picture that's passable for Flynn's cake.

The picture that will be gracing Flynn's 8th birthday cake is posted at the top. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the cake looks halfway decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment