Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Egg Popsicle Anyone?


Now that the weather in the Northeast is positively frigid (it was 15 degrees when I went out at midday yesterday), I've been worried about my eggs freezing. In the very cold weather, you're supposed to collect eggs several times a day to prevent this from happening. For a while, I had a broody hen who would keep my eggs toasty, but she hasn't been setting for a few days now.

My main worry about my eggs freezing was how would I know they were frozen and would this render the egg inedible? Two nights ago, I found the answer to at least one of my questions. When eggs freeze, their shells crack. Remembering back to your introductory physics class, water expands when it freezes, and something must give to make more room, hence the shell cracks. It all makes sense. And about the second question, well I don't think I'm even going to try to eat the cracked frozen eggs that were sitting in the coop among the wood chips and other things that will remain unmentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment