Raising Chickens in Your Backyard

Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Worra, Worra, Worra


Just went out to put the chickens in for the night and I'm worried about Brownie, one of our Speckled Sussex. Brownie is smaller than all the other hens and she always sleeps by herself in one of the nesting boxes, where all the others are now roosting at night. She definitely is at the bottom of the pecking order, but otherwise seemed to be pretty healthy.

Tonight when I went out to lock the hens up for the night, all the hens had gone in...All but Brownie, who was sleeping in the grass by herself. So now I'm all paranoid that something is wrong with her and that she may not be long for this world.

Did I mention that after Google, Brownie is Charlotte's favorite chicken. She's very mellow (or perhaps sick) and lets the kids hold her without a fuss. I'm really hoping she's ok.

I'll keep ya posted. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment